David Janes LLB
David is exceptionally highly regarded in the profession and one of the leading and most experienced criminal lawyers. He is considered to be ‘a brilliant tactician’ and has been involved in a number of the highest profile cases and leading authorities. David is continuously highly ranked in Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
David has an unrivalled reputation in the field of serious and complex fraud and cases involving direct and indirect taxation. He has successfully represented clients in the most complex and difficult of cases many of which have attracted national media interest – such as his client’s acquittal in the Libor case.
He also specialises in defending allegations of bribery and corruption, alleged corporate offences, and all aspects relating to the proceeds of crime. He is experienced in regulatory matters and civil recovery.
- Defence of Peter Foster (Cherie Gate) in SFO trial;
- Acquittal (after appeal) of Ali Daghir in the Iraqi nuclear capacitor case;
- Acquittal of engineer in the famous Jubilee Line Fraud trial;
- Acquittal of the jockey Fergal Lynch in the “horse racing trial of the century”;
- Acquittal of defendant in the SFO Olympics’ ticket fraud trial;
- Defence in the SFO trial in respect of the GP Noble pension fraud;
- Defence of Anand Jain in the renowned SFO Rastogi and Jain case;
- Acquittal of ICAP broker in the Libor trial prosecuted by the SFO;
- Acquittal of executive in the H20/TAF factoring case prosecuted by the SFO;
- Defence (and part acquittal) of high profile accountant in HMRC Operation Edgewood;
- Acquittal of investor banker in leading tax case Operation Crystallite;
- Acquittal of mortgagee in high value and renowned mortgage fraud case Operation Aquamarine;
- Representing client in multi billion dollar, civil and criminal proceedings relating to alleged complex tax fraud spanning multiple global jurisdictions.
- Rolls Royce bribery and corruption investigation;
- ENRC investigation into allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption around the acquisition of substantial mineral assets;
- Operation Amazon - largest ever HMRC direct taxation prosecution in the UK – income tax deferral in R&D carbon credit scheme;
- Operation Florin - alleged 800 victim pension liberation fraud;
- Operation Lunar - large tax scheme with prosecution seeking to make new ground as to prosecution of investors;
- Regulatory matters in respect of the GDC, ICAEW and SRA.
- Fraud Lawyers Association
- Fraud Advisory Panel
- Howard League
Wildlife (especially large cats), bird watching, tranquillity, travelling and nature (and not least criticising Arsene Wenger!)