Robert Berg (Higher Courts Advocate)
Robert qualified as a solicitor in 1978 and specialises in all aspects of criminal law.
Robert has a solid reputation for dealing with serious crime such as high-value money laundering, international drug trafficking, murder, serious violent offences and sexual offences. Robert also has extensive experience of extradition matters, mutual legal assistance and international cooperation investigations.
With over forty years’ experience in the most high-profile criminal cases, Robert is well regarded for his fierce devotion to achieving the best possible outcome for his clients and handles his cases with the upmost tactical skill. As a Higher Courts Advocate (Criminal) Robert regularly represents defendants charged with the most serious offences, has conducted jury trials and appeared before the Court of Appeal.
Robert has also completed a post-graduate course in Forensic Medicine.
Robert has represented a number of high-profile clients in widely reported cases. He has featured in newspapers, TV and Radio and has contributed to write scripts for criminal dramas including the popular cult series Line of Duty.
Robert is an appointed member of the Law 100 Panel for The Times newspaper. Robert also advises individuals employed by a UK-listed company in respect of allegations of bribery and corruption and regularly deals with cases attracting national media interest.
- Nicholas Van Hoogstraten - murder appeal;
- Terence Bowler - drug trafficking case valued at £62m;
- David Reidy - drug trafficking case valued at £25m;
- Peter Gillespie - international fake pharmaceuticals case;
- Major investigation by French police concerning a collection of ancient gold coins;
- Warren Blackwell - high profile quashing of sexual assault charge;
- Acquittal of Russian Oligarch accused of Perverting the Course of Justice;
- Kevin Brown - acquittal of notorious South London armed robber whilst absconded from open prison; as well as many other acquittals in high profile armed robbery trials;
- Large scale importation of fruit containers containing cocaine from Costa Rica into Portsmouth Docks;
- Client discharged from extradition request to Argentina on a very large scale trafficking of cocaine to Argentina;
- Representing client accused of transferring money for installation of concealed compartments on the Destiny Empress intercepted on the coast of Ireland with 1.5 tonnes of cocaine;
- Extradition of client to Spain for major shipment of cocaine on a sailing boat which crossed the Atlantic to Cadiz;
- Representing client in multi billion dollar, civil and criminal proceedings relating to alleged complex tax fraud spanning multiple global jurisdictions.
- Extradition appeal to France for involvement in £8 million advance fee fraud;
- Extradition involving a request from Turkey;
- Major fraud and money laundering investigation - excess of £25 million in value;
- A large-scale investigation into the importation of over 200 kilos of cocaine;
- Two major conspiracies to import and transfer firearms including sub – machine guns and ammunition;
- Main Defendant in six conspiracies to facilitate the entry into the U.K. of large numbers of asylum seekers from various countries;
- Two main defendants in major conspiracies to control prostitutes in Central London and launder multimillion pound proceeds of the alleged conspiracies;
- Trading Standards prosecution involving the establishment of franchised restaurants and takeaway establishments in various cities and regions in the U.K.;
- A solicitor accused of defrauding the Metropolitan police by use of false documentation;
- Defendant charged with multi-million-pound money laundering of proceeds of large scale and organised fraud of duty on alcoholic beverages;
- Leading Numismatic company based in London in investigation into looted ancient coins under mutual co-operation between the Metropolitan Police and the French Police;
- Major investigation by the Serious Fraud Office into international bribery and corruption by major U.K. listed company;
- Major investigation of accountant accused of setting up various bogus companies to obtain large scale credit and then default;
- Major investigation into establishment of a company which opened care homes in various U.K. locations and then defaulted on multimillion pound loans by major institutions and laundered the proceeds of the loans via overseas banks;
- Further cases involving sexual offences.
- Law Society
- False Allegations Support Organisation - Recommended lawyer
Swimming, cycling and hill walking.