Attempts to exploit and undermine financial markets, evade tax or defraud individuals or organisations are treated very seriously, and those found guilty could face severe penalties. It is highly recommended you seek advice as soon as you are aware or you suspect you are under investigation or if you need advice. Allegations involving financial crime can have a huge impact on your livelihood and reputation, and it is crucial you have the highest quality legal team behind you from the start.
Our Expertise & Experience
Janes Solicitors are well versed in the defence of financial crime and all associated advisory and investigative matters, and are renowned for being leaders in this field. Tactical, dedicated and highly skilled defence strategists, our lawyers will advise you and support you every step of the way.
We are specialists in the financial crime sphere, and have a leading and well-earned reputation for achieving excellent results for our clients. Our proven track record, personal approach and fearless commitment to the cause of our clients gives us the edge over other firms meaning we are highly sought after by clients. Janes solicitors ensure your best interests come first. We provide specialist advice from across our team with our successful track record in financial crime cases. We are well regarded by clients and other firms alike.
In the last year the firm has handled an exceptional caseload in this practice area, both in terms of matters coming to trial and new instructions, which include instructions in major Serious Fraud Office, HMRC and Trading Standards prosecutions. We act for clients from across the United Kingdom and worldwide including Europe, the United Arab Emirates, the Far East and South America.
Our lawyers are highly experienced in handling all aspects of financial crime including:
- Serious Fraud Office Prosecutions
- Bribery and Corruption
- Mortgage Fraud
- HM Revenue and Customs Prosecutions
- Tax Evasion
- Tax Fraud
- Market Abuse
- Market Manipulation
- Section 2 Notices
- FCA Notifications (Financial Conduct Authority)
- NCA Prosecutions (National Crime Agency)
- Money Laundering and Proceeds of Crime (POCA)
- Freezing Orders/Injunctions
- Credit Card, PayPal and Internet Fraud
If you have an enquiry which is not covered by the above topics or you are unsure about your case, contact us now and we will be happy to discuss this with you.
Our Exceptional & Proven Track Record
Janes Solicitors are involved in the largest and most complex financial cases to be tried in this country – and we have an exceptional proven track record. We regularly defend high profile financial crime cases attracting widespread media coverage, including:
- R v Khan - Acquittal of our client following a retrial in a fifteen-handed conspiracy to defraud mortgage fraud (in excess of £40 million) investigated by the Economic Crime Department of the City of London Police. The case involved several well-known high street banking institutions, including Barclays Private Clients International and complex offshore and international property transactions using trusts;
- R v Wootton - the famous Jubilee Line Extension case in which the acquittal of our client was secured after an extraordinary two-year trial;
- R v Jain – The London Metal Exchange Fraud Trial - a highly complex billion-pound metal trading fraud and ensuing confiscation proceedings in which a discontinuance was obtained for our client;
- R v Fergal Lynch – Conspiracy to defraud -The Fallon race fixing trial; our client jockey Kieren Fallon and five others were acquitted of a £10 million race fixing allegation;
- R v Shinder Gangar - $200 million Ponzi Fraud which is also now a leading authority on confiscation cases in relation to default interest calculations;
- R v Van Meel - Beijing Olympic ticket fraud prosecution where the case against the client was discharged mid-trial as a result of successful legal argument;
- R v Lunn - (Operation Edgewood) - A major HMRC prosecution of a leading tax accountant engaged in what was described as a systematic long-term fraud on HMRC on behalf of clients, himself and his associates. Our client was the ‘accountant to the stars’ including Jeremy Paxman and Fiona Bruce amongst his 7,000 clients. The case involved the manipulation of the tax affairs of clients running to over £117 million;
- R v Amin (Operation Crystallite) – Conspiracy to cheat - successful defence of former RBS banker investing into film scheme - The case attracted extensive media attention as it sent shockwaves through the tax advisory industry as investors were prosecuted for the first time;
- R v Goodman (Libor Manipulation) - successful acquittal of our client, an ICAP broker predicting LIBOR rates. The first Serious Fraud Office prosecution against financial brokers and only the second trial in the country (and the first success) involving allegations of manipulating LIBOR – a worldwide rate setting benchmark linked to trillions of global financial products;
- R v Grillo and Grillo - successful acquittal of our clients, two personal assistants to Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi accused of fraudulent misuse of company credit cards for over £685,000. Dubbed the ‘trial of the year’ with unprecedented worldwide media attention. A momentous victory in the face of extreme media scrutiny and high-profile opponents;
- R v Thomas - acquittal of CEO in £160 million broadband fraud, following accusations of creating and selling falsely inflated contracts to business lenders, Barclays Bank and KBC;
- R v Lewis - prosecution of a broker in a large-scale mortgage fraud where a non-custodial sentence was obtained following the client’s acquittal on the large majority of counts and thereafter a confiscation order in the amount of £1 only;
- R v Oyekoya – Conspiracy to defraud and money laundering – Acquittal in case involving fraudulent transactions totalling circa $800,000 with further attempted transactions of $500,000 from Amex accounts in the UK to personal accounts in the UK and globally;
- R v TB – National cash machine fraud – defendant accused of stealing £1,000,000 from cash machines through the installation of malware onto the machines. Expert cell-site analysis proved our client was in the vicinity of over half of the affected machines during the commission of the offences leading to favourable basis of the plea being accepted by the Crown at the Central Criminal Court;
- R v Kudirat Fowewe (Operation Snapbook) – Conspiracy to Defraud and Fraudulent Misuse of Computer Systems – Highly publicised as defendants infiltrated Barclays and other banks computers obtaining data from thousands of bank accounts.
Below are some of the cases in which we are currently instructed:
- Rolls Royce plc - Bribery and Corruption Investigation in Leading UK Manufacturer - Janes Solicitors instructed by nine executives and employees surrounding an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office into allegations of bribery and corruption.
- Operation Uzane – Conspiracy to Defraud - Defending owner of care home in on charges of money laundering in relation to the assets of both the care home and its users;
- Operation Florin – Conspiracy to Defraud and Money Laundering - Representing lead defendant in a pension liberation fraud valued in excess of £9 million involving several hundreds of victims Nationwide.
- Operation Lunar – KPMG Partner alleged to have cheated HMRC investment schemes - One of the first prosecutions by HMRC of investors into such schemes.
- Operation Amazon – Conspiracy to Cheat the Revenue - Janes Solicitors is representing a lead defendant in a seven-handed conspiracy to cheat HMRC in what has been described as one of the ‘largest direct taxation frauds in the UK’ amounting to over £268 million tax at risk. The underlying business relates to green projects for Research and Development across the globe and environmental carbon trading with investments by hundreds of High Net Worth Individuals.
- Operation Dougal - Conspiracy to Defraud - Janes Solicitors instructed in major breach of copyright Trading Standards prosecution – over £30 million alleged fraud.
- Operation Cindy – Conspiracy to Defraud - Defending sole client in large Trading Standards prosecution. The value of the case is in excess of £30 million, and involves a significant technological and IT element. Janes are also assisting in defendant’s dealings with the Advertising Standards Agency.
White Collar Crime Lawyers
White collar crime is business crime, typically involving senior company executives, bankers, investors, financial advisors, company personnel or Government officials. White collar crime includes a wide variety of different frauds, bribery, corruption, market manipulation, sophisticated financial crime and mortgage fraud.
Prosecutions can be started by a variety of Government agencies such as the Crown Prosecution Service, Serious Fraud Office, Financial Conduct Authority, Trading Standards or the Office of Fair Trading.
Janes Solicitors have a wealth of experience and excellent results in all areas of white collar crime. Our expert defence lawyers provide proactive, practical advice and will guide you every step of the way, from initial investigations, to any subsequent charge and court proceedings. We advise at any stage if you are concerned with your position.
Contact our Expert Financial Crime Defence Lawyers London
Janes Solicitors provides bespoke specialist advice on all areas of serious and complex fraud, regulatory, taxation and serious financial crime matters. With extensive experience in all areas of fraud and financial crime and a well-earned reputation as leaders in our field, our expert defence team take a proactive and pragmatic approach to legal advice and case strategy. We are committed to your successful outcome. Janes Solicitors pride ourselves on our case tailored approach for each client and our fearless commitment in each and every case we undertake.
If you or your business have concerns, are under suspicion or investigation or have been arrested or prosecuted for any serious fraud or financial crime offence, contact us today on 020 7930 5100, or via our online contact form and one of our team will be in touch shortly.