Janes Solicitors have a long standing and leading reputation for representing clients in serious and high-profile matters across a broad range of serious and general crime. We are known for our high-profile successes, our combined breadth and depth of knowledge and experience in criminal defence and the exceptional level of service we offer to clients. Our proven track record is evidenced by continued referrals from existing clients and other firms who recognise the firm’s exceptional ability to successfully represent clients.
Led by Robert Berg, Janes Solicitors have a devoted team of highly skilled criminal defence lawyers, with over thirty-five years’ experience defending those facing allegations for all types of serious and general crime including:
- Murder and Manslaughter
- Corporate Manslaughter
- Robbery (Inc. Armed Robbery)
- Drug Offences (Importation, Supply, Exportation and Trafficking)
- Sexual Offences
- Terrorism Offences
- Firearm Offences
- Financial Crime
- Human Trafficking
- Road Traffic Offences
- Cyber Crime
- Mortgage Fraud
At Janes Solicitors, we understand the extreme trauma that you and your family are going through when facing allegations for a serious offence and the huge impact proceedings can have on you both personally and professionally.
As tactical experts, our skilled defence team will help guide you every step of the way. Our attention to detail and meticulous approach to investigating and pulling apart every detail of your case means Janes Solicitors will produce a robust defence strategy for you to ensure you achieve the best outcome possible.
Our Exceptional & Proven Track Record
We are a boutique law firm with a renowned excellence in handling criminal defence cases which has led us to work on many high-profile, complex and high-value cases including many that attract national media interest, including:
- R v Webster- Acquittal of our client charged with conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office in high profile phone hacking investigations. Our client was the Deputy Editor of The Sun and was thus one of only three senior Sun executives (along with Rebekah Brooks) to be charged;
- Defended senior Liberal Democrat peer on allegations of inappropriate conduct;
- R v Westwood - No evidence offered against former guitarist of The Tremeloes of historic sex offence following successful representations made by Janes Solicitors;
- R v Grillo and Grillo - successful acquittal of our clients, two personal assistants to Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi accused of fraudulent misuse of company credit cards for over £685,000. Dubbed the ‘trial of the year’ with unprecedented worldwide media attention. A momentous victory in the face of extreme media scrutiny and high-profile opponents;
- Van Hoogstraten – Successful appeal of property tycoon (highly publicised murder case);
- R v Yam - Murder trial held in camera – proceedings before the Supreme Court and the ECtHR;
- Defended a Royal Navy petty officer charged with breach of Official Secrets Act;
- R v Reidy - conspiracy to supply cocaine and money laundering - drug trafficking of between 80 to 90 kilos of cocaine valued at £25 million;
- R v Byom - largest every street robbery of vulnerable victims with 298 offences taken into consideration;
- R v Fergal Lynch – Conspiracy to defraud -The Fallon race fixing trial; our client jockey Kieren Fallon and five others were acquitted of a £10 million race fixing allegation;
- R v Brown – Armed robbery acquittal - the most ‘secure’ trial in British History, with security by the Flying Squad;
- R Kelay - challenge to terrorism control orders;
- R v PC – Conspiracy to Supply Class A Drugs - a large scale, national conspiracy to supply Class A drugs involving 14 defendants. Our client was acquitted following a lengthy trial at Teeside Crown Court
- R v Rawling - life threatening injuries inflicted on two-week-old baby;
- The Government of Peru v GO - The first request from Peru for the extradition of a British National. Our client was the requested person who was subject to an extradition request from Peru to face allegations of trafficking Class A drugs. Following successful legal submissions by Janes Solicitors our client was discharged from proceedings;
- R v Karinikki – Relating to fraudulently obtained funds from elderly victim (over £100,000 laundered from account). Indictment dropped resulting in case being dropped.
Our Expertise & Experience
Our expert defence team take a proactive approach with each client to offer maximum support and a commitment to achieving the best possible outcome.
Our lawyers offer a personal case tailored service to suit the differing needs of our clients. Our skilled and focused approach, as well as our technical expertise on these demanding cases have helped to mark us out as leaders in our field. Janes Solicitors will guide and advise you every step of the way.
We have recently defended a wide range of serious crime cases including:
- Laundering proceeds of a cheque stolen from a Premier League football club;
- Two separate but linked conspiracies to import and transfer firearms and ammunition;
- A large-scale conspiracy to supply class B drugs – case involved substantial communications data as well as covert surveillance conducted by the National Crime Agency;
- Represented the lead defendant and his wife in relation to this large-scale conspiracy to assist the unlawful immigration of refugees;
- An allegation of causing death by dangerous driving. Instructed a ‘collision expert’ to the scene to examine the scene resulting in the substitution of the charge for causing death by careless driving;
- An investigation concerning the importation of large quantities of a Class A drug;
- A major investigation into the illegal importation of tobacco and the evasion of duty of over £1 million;
- A major investigation into establishment of a company which opened care homes in various U.K. locations and then defaulted on multi–million pound loans by major institutions and laundered the proceeds of the loans via overseas banks;
- A charge of the historic rape of a close family member;
- Prosecution for controlling prostitution.
Contact our Criminal Defence Lawyers London
Janes Solicitors is a high-quality niche practice providing specialist advice on all areas of serious crime, including murder, drug offences, robbery, sexual offences, fraud and terrorism. With extensive experience in criminal defence we have a well-earned reputation as leaders in our field with proven success. We take a proactive and pragmatic approach to legal advice and build a solid case-tailored defence team of leading professional to suit the needs of each of our clients. We are highly committed to our clients and take pride in our fearless commitment in each and every case.
If you need advice, are under suspicion or investigation or if you are being prosecuted for a serious criminal offence, telephone our offices today on 020 7930 5100. Alternatively you can contact us via our online contact form, and one of our team will be in touch as soon as possible.
We are there when you need us. We understand sometimes you may need urgent advice outside normal office hours. Available seven days a week, you can call us on our out-of-hours service number on 07789 622 430.