Simon Barker LLB
Simon has extensive experience in insolvency law, the prosecution of Companies Act offences and Insolvency Act offences and the disqualification of company directors.
In his time at Janes, Simon has utilised this experience in working on high profile and complex fraud cases and developed his own strong reputation in the field.
Simon has achieved many important and significant results for his clients.
He has established a strong reputation for being "extremely easy to deal with, very clear, very driven and very supportive." (Chambers and Partners)
- R v Wootton - Famous Jubilee Line Extension case in which the acquittal of the client was secured after a two-year trial;
- R v Jain - Serious Fraud Office prosecution of a highly complex billion-pound metal trading fraud and ensuing confiscation proceedings in which a discontinuance was obtained for the client;
- R v Embleton - Large scale and complex machinery financing fraud prosecution in which acquittals on all counts were obtained;
- R v Lewis - Prosecution of a broker in a large-scale mortgage fraud where the client was acquitted on the majority of counts and thereafter a confiscation order in the amount of £1 only;
- R v Harrold - Large scale insurance industry fraud prosecution in which pressure from the defence led to the abandonment of the proceedings by the prosecution before trial;
- R v van Meel - Beijing Olympic ticket fraud prosecution where the case against the client was discharged mid-trial as a result of successful legal argument;
- R v Lunn - Prosecution of an accountant acting for thousands of clients;
- R v Goodman - Acquittal on all counts of ‘Lord Libor’ in the high-profile trial in which it was alleged he conspired to manipulate the Yen London Inter Bank Offer Rate;
- R v Amin - Acquittal secured of an investor in a case centred upon tax avoidance arrangements involving investment in the film industry;
- R v Thomas - Acquittal in Serious Fraud Office prosecution of an alleged £160 million blue chip business contract fraud.
- Operation Lunar - allegations of cheating HMRC in investment schemes promoted to High Net Worth Individuals to encourage relief on capital allowances.
- Law Society
- Fraud Lawyers Association
Cycling (road and MTB), football and rugby league.